The Club was based in the Adelaide Parklands and played in the United Churches Cricket Association. The Club grew in stature, eventually raising a second side in 1935. Unfortunately, many players were lost during the Second World War, never to return. Also prior to the war, the Richmond Cricket Club was formed in 1936 and was accepted into the Adelaide Turf Cricket Association (ATCA).
After the War, at a meeting in Avondale Street, Clarence Park, former members of the CPMCC formed the Clarence Park Turf Cricket Club (of ex-servicemen), the name more accurately reflecting the Club’s membership.
The fledgling Club raised money through holding dances at the now Clarence Park Community Centre, where we now hold our Annual General Meeting. The Club concentrated its efforts on securing Goodwood Oval, which was eventually granted by the Council. While initially refused entry into the competition, the Club was only admitted to the ATCA following intervention from the local Member of Parliament, H. Stephen Dunks.
The two Clubs co-existed in the ATCA, even playing off in a number of tense finals matches until season 1992/93 when the Clarence Park Cricket Club faced folding as it was in dire financial straits. The Richmond Cricket Club was in a similar position due to their lack of a permanent home, having been nomads ever since being kicked off Richmond Oval by the West Adelaide Football Club in 1979.
A merger was proposed and accepted by both Clubs as a win-win. Financial stability was restored to Clarence Park and Richmond now had a ground to call their own. The merged club first played under the Richmond Clarence Park moniker in season 1993/94.
In 2006, the membership of the Club resolved that the Club’s name did not accurately reflect the local community from whence it comes. Following a Special General Meeting in March 2006, the Club’s name was changed permanently to Goodwood Cricket Club keeping the ‘Roos’ nickname from the Richmond Clarence Park days.
Complied by Peter Argent