Clarence Park Cricket Club

Select a decade: 1960’s | 1980’s | 1990’s


With 29 clubs affiliated to the ATCA, Clarence Park entered the 60s with 3 teams through the grades, having the teams in the A1 grade, A3 and A6 (hard wicket grade). The club’s A grade side collected the wooden spoon, not having a win throughout the summer. Bill Wyatt was the best with the bat making 359 runs at an average of 21.12 with a highest season score of 54. The second side finished in third place, losing their semi-final outright by 5 wickets against S.A.H.B. at the Railways Oval. Hayward had a fair finals match making 35 with the bat and taking 2 for 14 in the S.A.H.B. first innings. J. Viney (4 for 45) and Arthur Wyatt (3 for 30) also bowled well in the first innings and Don Hackett took four of the five wickets to fall in the second innings for only 6 runs. J. Viney finished the season fifth on the ATCA A3 grade bowling list with 49 wickets at an average of 10.5. Match scores were Clarence Park (115 and 72) losing to S.A.H.B. (134 and 5 for 55). The hard wicket team made it to the last weekend of their summer where they went down to the W.R.E.I. In this grade, only two teams participated in the finals, as there were only 6 teams in that competition. In the game, the third unit were never in the race, being bowled out for 59 after the opponents made 155 in the first innings and 121 in the second. Better performances came from D. Donald with 7 match wickets (3 for 35 and 4 for 26) and captain Jack Rosie with 5 match wickets (3 for 31 and 2 for 22). Jack would also win the association A6 batting trophy with 256 runs at the average of 42.66. In the J.U. Jentke Fielding Trophy, that at this stage went from grades 1 to 5 in the association, D. Noll finished equal third, two points behind the winners. For the A6 competition, opening bowler M. Clements was a runaway victor, of the fielding award with D. Church finishing in second place. Club stalwart and WWII veteran Don Hackett collected the top club award for Clarence Park this summer.

Moving up the ladder to 7th position for season 1961/62 was a great improvement for the first team, after not collecting a victory the year before. Bill Wyatt and Brian Richardson (the bespectacled son of former test cricketer Arthur Richardson) performed well with the bat, making 378 and 361 runs respectively. With the ball, medium pacer Brian Copley finished the summer with 46 wickets at an average of just over 14, and diminutive leg spinner Peter Greenham collected 38 wickets at the cost of 15.5 per victim. The B grade team in the A2 competition were unlucky to finish on the foot of the ladder, with Jack Rosie making 320 runs in that grade and John Ranes collecting 38 wickets at the brilliant average of 8.81. Being runner-up for the second year running, the hard wicket team had a number of good performances. Both R. Bloomfield and D. Rogers featured with the willow, with season tallies of 478 and 380 runs respectively. With the ball in their hands, J. Viney and B.Donald finished second and fourth on the association bowling list with 48 and 38 wickets respectively. In the semi-final against Burnside, Clarence Park made 206 and 4 for 23 defeating their opponents by 79 runs. D. Rogers made his first and only club century, being dismissed on 122. B. Dodd had a good double, making 33 with the bat and 5 for 44 with the ball. J.Viney also took 3 for 39. In an amazing grand final, the team lost to Edwardstown by 20 runs on the first innings, but missed out on a two innings victory by a solitary wicket. Edwardstown made 94, after the C grade side made 74. J. Viney took 7 for 37 in the first innings and 11 wickets for the game. Clarence Park made 101 in the second dig with Grove the best with a hard fought 49 not out. At the games end, Edwardstown were 9 for 42, with B. Dodd and D. Rogers, helping Viney out with 3 match wickets each. In this grade, B. Tainsh was runner up in the hard wicket fielding trophy, missing out by a solitary point.

A grade all rounder A.W.J. “Bill” Wyatt collected the second of his three top club awards for his summer’s performances. Season 1962/63 saw the club’s A grade finish in the same position as the previous summer, again in the middle of the pack. The second eleven finished one spot above the first side in sixth position in the A3 competition, and in the A7 grade, the third side were second last out of six teams. Four first eleven players broke the 300 runs barrier: Bob Selth with 390, Brian Copley 369, Ron Hewitt 307 and Brian Richardson 302. Ron Hewitt also collected a club high 45 wickets at 10.74 and achieved his first club century. As expected, he comfortably secured the Clarence Park top club award. Brian Copley also got one of his two club centuries this season and was the club’s representative at association level in their game against the Victorian Junior Cricket Association, which was played on Sunday December 30th 1962. Through the grades, only John Rawes (44 wickets) and G. Hoskin (42 wickets) were mentioned on ATCA special performances lists, playing for the clubs B grade side in the A3 competition. The third side finished in fourth position in the summer of 1963/64 and the B grade team also was out of the finals after ending the minor round in ninth position. Although the lower grades of the club didn’t have major round participation, the A grade for the first time in the 60s were contenders, finishing in third place. Ron Hewitt had another stellar summer with both leather and willow, improving on his previous season with 355 runs and 58 wickets. He was again, for the second season, easily the winner of the Top Club Award. Also Bob Selth with 394 runs, Ron Hankshaw (308) and Brian Copley (301) were good contributors with the bat. Brian Richardson led the club’s second eleven batting with 385 runs and Jack Rosie won the association award with 437 runs in the grade A7 hard wicket competition. John Rawes continued to take wickets in the second side, breaking the 50-wicket barrier this season with 52 scalps at his usually miserly average of 8.1.

The A grade unit took on Sturt at the Myer Ground in their semi-final, going down to them by 86 runs. Clarence Park made only 184 chasing their opponent’s total of 274. All the club’s teams were involved in post regular season games for season 1964/65. Both the first side (in A1 grade) and the second side (in A3 grade) finished in third place, and Jack Rosie’s side in the A8 (hard wicket) competition were minor premiers. After two seasons where four players passed the 300 run mark in the A grade, this season no Clarence Park player in the first eleven got to 300, with only veterans Arthur Wyatt and Brian Richardson in the second side getting to that milestone with 372 and 319 runs respectively. The eldest two of the cricket playing Hewitt brothers, Ron (41) and Geoff (34), were the A grades chief wicket takers. John Rawes and Peter Greenham both broke the 40-wicket mark for the second eleven. This would be the fourth season in a row where Rawes was mentioned in the grade’s 30 plus wicket taking lists. As happened in the previous year’s semi-final weekend, the A grade were defeated in the penultimate game, but this year by only 23 runs. Richmond batted first, making 75 runs, with Ron and Joe Hewitt each collecting 2 wickets. In reply, the first eleven made 152. Geoff Hewitt made 28 and G. Sutherland got to 34 with the bat. In the A3 grade, the club’s second team lost outright to the W.R.E.I. The team’s opponents made 158, with Peter Greenham (4 for 50) and Church (3 for 33) being the best of the bowlers. In the team’s unsuccessful attempts to get that score, they made 47 and 95. Ian Oliver was the top scorer in the second dig with 39. A person who was to later play for this state, Don Sutherland, made an undefeated 122 against Richmond in the hard wicket grade semi-final. His hundred was the chief score in the team’s substantial score of 9 for 274, with Ellis lending a hand with 33. In the field, they bowled Richmond out for 133. Johnstone took 4 for 45 and Walker had the figures of 3 for 31. In the grand final, the A8 unit ran out winners on Goodwood Oval by 80 runs, winning the first A.T.C.U.A. Shield for this grade. Clarence Park made 137 and 168 defeating Glenelg Strugglers, who could only manage 57. Don Sutherland continued his good form with a 47 in the final. Premiership captain Jack Rosie collected the A8 batting trophy, P. Clarke was given a Dr. W.A. Pryor special coaching classes trophy from the ATCA, and Joe Hewitt was selected , and performed well, in the first inter-association match against the Victorian Sub-District Cricket League. He made 29 not out, batting with the lower order in a high scoring match, and took 4 for 61 bowling his off-spinners. Predominately B grade all rounder Gavin Oliver collected his only top club award this season. By the end of the minor round for season 1965/66, Clarence Park were minor premiers in the A1 grade and only two wins away from their inaugural premier division premiership. Club captain Bob Selth won the association A1 batting award with 686 runs and Ron Hewitt topped the A1 bowling trophy with 74 wickets at 11.3 per dismissal. He also collected 389 runs with the bat. Joe Hewitt also had a good season with the leather, securing 35 wickets at 15.8, and with the willow making 432 runs at 22.7 per innings. Ron Hawkshaw made 397 runs at the crease in the first eleven. The B grade side finished in ninth position, with two players to play in the A grade grand final. John Rawes (46 wickets at 7.8) and Brian Richardson (338 runs at 26.0) were the best performed for the team. The third unit finished in second last position in a five-team competition, with G. Tuckwell being runner-up in the fielding trophy for the A8 grade by one point. In the A1 side’s semi-final, Clarence Park took on the Port Adelaide at Adelaide Turf Cricket, Payneham. Clarence Park made 156 and 8 for 223, defeating their foes comfortably by 70 runs, with Payneham only getting to a team total of 86. Ron Hewitt was the match star, destroying their opponents with the ball, taking 7 for 40. He was also handy with the bat making 35 and 30. Little brother, Joe, made the first of his two club centuries in the second innings, finishing on 116 not out. Ron Hankshaw also made 33 and John Rawes supported Ron Hewitt well with the ball taking 2 for 29. Over the Saturday of 26th March and 2nd April, Clarence Park played P.A.O.C at Hawthorn Oval. The first Saturday belonged to captain Bob Selth who made 115 runs in a team total of 274. Ron Hewitt with 49 and Ron Hankshaw with 38, ably assisted him. On the second Saturday the team cleaned up the top order, having P.A.O.C. 7 for 87. They showed a late order come-back and Ron Hewitt collected the final wicket to secure the premiership on 195. Ron Hewitt finished with 4 for 79, brother Geoff secured 3 for 24 and the promoted John Rawes collected a handy 2 for 30 off 20 overs. Clarence Park won its first premiership in 18 years in the top grade (A1) of A.T.C.A. The members of the team were: Bob Selth (Captain), Brian Copley, Joe Hewitt, Ron Hankshaw, Ron Hewitt, Brian Richardson, Alan Coulter, Geoff Hewitt, Peter Parry (Wicketkeeper), Peter Dodd, John Rawes, Gavin Oliver (12th man).

On top of a premiership, winning the Association Bowling Trophy, and collecting the final wicket for the season, Ron Hewitt collected his 3rd top club award in 4 years. After the euphoria of the previous season, the summer of 1966/67 proved to be something of a premiership hangover. The first eleven finished in eighth position, with no chance of major round action. Also the B grade unit and the A8 teams completed the minor round in the middle of their respective packs. The third side sneaked into a semi-final in a six team grade. No player throughout the club got to 300 runs for the season, nor did any clubman get to the century mark with the bat. New club import D. Rice took 33 wickets at a respectable
average of 15.6 in the A1 competition. He also was awarded with the Top Club Trophy for his efforts. In the second side, Peter Greenham (55 wickets at 10.1) and the ageless John

Rawes (33 wickets at 6.6) were the pick of the trundlers. N. Abbot also collected 31 wickets at 10.7 in the A8 competition. The A8 semi-final was against St. Ignatius Old Scholars who made 203 and 3 for 177. In reply, the team made 107 and 8 for 100 and were defeated comfortably. Better performances came from Davies, who made 32 in both innings, and P. Clarke, who took the great figures of 7 for 77. Joe Hewitt again represented the ATCA at state level, in an exciting game on Coburg Oval, where the team went down by only 3 runs. At the end of the 1967/68 summer, club stalwart Peter “P.C.” Greenham was presented a certificate for player life membership of the ATCA. Again, like the previous summer, the A1 team were in the bottom half of the premiership table. The second eleven finished just over a game out of finals contention in fifth place and the A8 hard wicket team finished fourth in a four team competition. The third side under the leadership of Bob Selth in A7 grade finished in sixth place. A.W.J. ”Bill” Wyatt had one of his best all-round seasons for the club in A1 cricket. He took 43 wickets with the ball at the solid average of 15 runs per wicket and made 407 runs in the top order. Joe Hewitt was the third highest run getter for the association in this grade with 499 runs and P. Walker took 30 wickets as well as being 12th man in the association game.

In B grade, John Rawes dominated the bowling crease with 60 wickets at an average of 7.1 per scalp. Also R. Phillips and Peter Greenham had good summers with the ball, collecting 45 and 39 wickets respectively. R. Kearsley was the team’s best performed batsman with 329, with a highest score of 46 not out. In the A7 team, Bob Selth led the way with 470 runs and B. Dwyer took 35 wickets at the superb average of 7.7. Young P. Selth collected the ATCA A8 fielding trophy this season with P. Anderson finishing in third place. Other outstanding performances during this summer were 7 and 8 wicket hauls by John Rawes, as well as a hat trick by R. Phillips in the A3 grade. An innings of 107 by G. Patching was also scored in the A7 competition. Joe Hewitt followed, elder brother Ron, by winning his first and only Top Club Award. In 1968/69, finishing in second position, the A1 side would come excruciating close, being within four runs of their second premiership for the decade, under the leadership of former NSW shield cricketer Bob Roxby. The second eleven just missed out on finals participation by a point, and the third side finished in second place. The hard wicket team, under the leadership of veteran Evan Powell, collected aptly the first ever Pywell Shield,
being premiers in the A9 grade.

There were many fine performers throughout the club, starting with the captain/coach Bob Roxby who took 60 wickets at 7.6 per victim and scored 369 with the bat. Joe Hewitt broke the 500 run mark, finishing with 539, including a century against Payneham, and Brian Copley finished the season with 340 runs. Bob Selth had another solid summer with 333 in the A7 grade and Evan Powell won the association batting trophy with 504 runs at a 50-plus average in the A9 competition. This included one of his four club hundreds.
On the bowling side, Neil Abbott collected 41 wickets in the top grade. Again John Rawes performed well for the second unit with 48 wickets at 6.43 per scalp. Peter Greenham moved down to the A7 competition and the club’s third side, winning this grade’s bowling trophy with 53 wickets at 7.6 each. In the semi-final, all teams playing won. The A grade defeated Brighton soundly making 135 and 133 to their 78 and 9 for 177. With the bat in hand, Bob Roxby (61), Joe Hewitt (42) and Brian Copley 40 were the best performers. On the bowling side, Roxby (4 for 36), Bill Wyatt (4 for 15) and Neil Abbott (4 for 39) excelled. The A7 fixture was a low scoring affair with Clarence Park winning outright, making 88 and 6 for 84 against Salisbury 80 and 90. Naturally in a game with such small totals, the bowlers dominated. R. Phillips picked up 5 for 16 in the first innings plus 3 for 15 in the second, Peter Greenham doubled with 4 for 22 and 4 for 26, with P. Berrett collecting 3 for 15 in the second innings as well. The A1 grand final between Clarence Park and Richmond was a close and exciting affair. Bob Roxby’s side lost to the team he captained the previous summer by a single boundary Brian Copley made 31 and Joe Hewitt, Bill Wyatt and Bob Roxby got to double figures in Clarence Park’s score of 87. Neil Abbott (6 for 35) and Roxby (3 for 30) were the wicket takers in Richmond’s total of 91. In Clarence Park’s second innings of 8 for 129, Joe Hewitt was the outstanding batsman with 54. At match end, Richmond were 5 wickets down for 113 with captain and leg spinner Roxby taking four second innings scalps for 26. Played on the club’s home ground, the A7’s ultimate game was against the Bank of Adelaide side. With their opponents making a respectable 156 in their first dig, spinner Peter Greenham (3 for 43 and 3 for 26 in the second) and P. Berrett (3 for 19) were the best with the ball. Unfortunately, the batsman weren’t up to the task, being dismissed for a paltry 71. Only Bob Selth (24), R. Berrett (17) and I. Stevens (15) reached double figures. In the Bank of Adelaide’s second innings, they were 5 for 93, when umpires Herbert and Pemberton put a halt to proceedings. Bob Roxby collected the first of his two Top Club Award this season and Neil Abbott collected the Allan Jackson Trophy for the most outstanding junior in the A1 competition. This season also saw John Rawes receive playing life membership to the ATCA and Brian Copley also qualified for this honour.






Clarence Park moved into the 1989/90 season with the appointment of a new coach, former Kensington all rounder Ian Bowley, for 2 seasons. Initially, Ian generated a great deal of enthusiasm and team spirit. The first eleven missed out on finals action by 146 runs, or less than a wicket. The second side, under the guidance of former A grade all rounder and tough man Wayne Morris, had a reasonably successful summer. This team made it through to the grand final but succumbed to minor premiers Richmond, who were led by a man who was to become Richmond Clarence Park’s inaugural leader, Rob Colwell. With the bat, the club was well served by the usual suspects: Paul Haynes (455 runs) and Greg Stagg (414 runs) plus Ian Bowley and Ron Hoppenbrouwers who also passed the 300 mark. With opener Chris Peacock finishing on 298 runs and Tony Browne making a couple of useful scores, the batting had depth and reasonable consistency. On the bowling side, coach Bowley took the bulk of the wickets with 35. Keith Foster, after a 50 wickets season the previous year, didn’t have the results to back up his captain and finished next on the list with 16 dismissals. In the one-day Brock Partners competition, Clarence Park had a sound win on the back of a Paul Haynes unbeaten century in the first round against Ferryden Park. Coming up against eventual winners Gaza in the second round, they were unable to contain their batsmen in the highest scoring match of the second round. Financially under the guidance of Mark Booth, the club increased their closing balance to over 6,500 dollars, with a respectable but not spectacular increase of just over 1,400 dollars.

Moving into season 1990/91, there were great expectations around the club for the senior side to be involved in finals action. Paul Haynes had announced his retirement, but was to return to the fold after Christmas. Unfortunately with only one win after the festive season, the team finished at the foot of the table and would be relegated to the A2 competition. Coach Ian Bowley also resigned from his position at the end of the season and didn’t arrive at the club’s presentation
evening. The club, however, under his guidance, did collect the Brock Partners one-day competition in a stirring victory over Walkerville, chasing a good total of 229 at Payneham. After wicketkeeper Peter Stewart calmly hit the winning runs of the last ball of the match, the rowdy club faithful on the hill invaded the ground to celebrate an outstanding and historic win. Ian Bowley with a chance-less 76 not out was also awarded man of the match honours. In the 1990/91 season, Ian Bowley was given the honour of the captaincy of the ATCA representative side in their annual match against the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association, in a game they lost by only two wickets. Through the grades, the club C Grade (playing in the E Grade competition) finished equal top on match points but finished the minor round in second position because of less bonus points, and succumbed to Old Collegians in the semi final at Tregenza Oval by 85 runs. Grantley Stevenson also collected the association bowling trophy in this grade for the season. Greg Stagg won a record-breaking fourth club champion award, moving past B.C Jamieson, Bill Wyatt and Neil Scrutton, who had each won three. On the financial side, the club was again having a small loss, finishing with a closing balance of $1,719. Paul Haynes returned to the club captaincy, and former district player Adrian Merrett took over the non-playing coach’s role in the club’s attempt to make their stay in the second tier competition as short as possible.

The first eleven started with an excellent away victory at Marion and finished the minor round in second position. The semi-final was played at Lunblom Reserve in Pooraka against Grange and the team took their revenge for a mid-season loss, collecting a win to have the ultimate game of the season contested on the club’s home ground. In a tight final that started late because of rain, the Paul Haynes led unit returned Clarence Park to the first division. Tim Sargent’s 11 finals wickets brought his season’s total in his first at the club to 34 dismissals. Peter Stewart took over the opening position and applied himself well, posting 425 runs, and club stalwarts Gregg Stagg (554) and Paul Haynes (499) again had stellar seasons. Another player, Martin Hill, in his first year with CPCC performed commendably behind the stumps. After the previous year’s success in the Brock Partners competition, the club was bundled out in the first round of the 1991/92 season event. It must be said, looking at the side available and selected, that there was certainly less focus on this competition that year. The club’s B Grade had a poor season, finishing second last with only two wins, and was demoted to the B2 competition for the following season. On the financial side, despite the premiership flag being secured, the club’s performance was disappointing. Treasurer, Mark Booth said, “The closing balance of $1766, represents a decrease of $1,126 in club funds over the season. This decrease is directly attributable to the club living beyond its means. Bar revenue decreased in the order of 20% or over $5,000 and as this is the primary source of profits, this fall is reflected in the club’s season end balance.” Graeme “Rio” Allen, the club’s diligent and hard working secretary, as well as A Grade scorer, didn’t seek re-election for the forthcoming season, after his five years of exemplary service. Season 1992/93 started with the election of new faces to the offices of Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer and a committee that had only three people standing from the previous season. A dramatic change in any person’s language.

One of the first tasks of the new committee was to select a coach for the season and controversially, they chose former Adelaide district cricketer and 1991/92 A grade premiership player Mark Griffin over the last season’s non-playing coach Adrian Merrett. Before the pre-season was completed, Mark Griffen was offered a position in Alice Springs, and the club convinced Gregg Stagg to take over the role as a pseudo-coach as well as being the club captain. The season started with a convincing loss to Gaza, when in the second week, half of the team assumed the game would be called off and were still back in the clubrooms. Although the next game saw a win, the confidence of the new look side was at a low for most of the season, with the side only collecting two wins and winning the wooden spoon. Only Greg Stagg and Paul Haynes were up to the standard on the batting side of the ledger, scoring 536 and 333 runs respectively. With Tim Sargent moving over to district side, Adelaide, Steven Maliniak carried the bowling attack with 21 wickets. Because of inclement weather, the one-day competition wasn’t played until early January and the club, for the second season running, was bundled out in the first round. Through the grades, only the fourth eleven saw finals action, beating Penfield in a low scoring affair in the semi final, but being beaten by Old Collegians in the ultimate game by 58 runs. Chris Lowe won the association-bowling trophy for this grade, and was one of very few players who were promoted directly to the first eleven. Gregg Stagg, for his hard work, collected a string of awards including the Sydney W. Shepardson Trophy for the best all rounder in the A Grade competition, the association A Grade Batting Trophy and his sixth (this being a record) Top Club Award. During the forthcoming winter, Clarence Park would amalgamate with Richmond to hopefully secure the longevity of both clubs.



Credit: Peter Argent

Verified by MonsterInsights